- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 6Tbsp grated pecorino
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- vegetable oil
- dried thyme
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 15 pitted black olives
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 10 Tbsp bread crumbs
Wash and cut the aubergines lengthwise into about 5mm thick slices. Skin the tomatoes and cut them as well as the mushrooms, olives and onions into cubes of the same size.
- Cook the aubergine slices for two minutes in boiling salted water. Dry them thoroughly.
- Fry the aubergines in a bit of vegetable oil until they are golden on both sides. Put them on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Put a bit vegetable oil in a large pan and heat it.
- Sauté the onions first, then add the tomatoes. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Then add the canned chopped tomatoes and season with salt and thyme. Let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Sauté the mushrooms.
- Toast the bread crumbs on a dry and hot pan.
- Combine the tomatoes, bread crumbs, half of the grated pecorino, mushrooms and olives in a large pan.
- Place a heaping spoonful of the stuffing at the widest end of the aubergine and cover it with 1 leave of fresh basil.
- Roll up the stuffing in the aubergine slice and fasten it with a toothpick and sprinkle with some pecorino.
- Place the rolls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake it at 200°C for about 10 minutes.