Vegan Borscht Recipe
We went for a weekend to the country cottage of a friend and lit up a fire to cook the most delicious borscht – of course the vegan version. Healthy and tasty with loads of vitamins and nutrients, the perfect soup for an evening at the fire :)
- 6l Vegetable broth
- 1 White cabbage
- 3 Onion
- 2 Carrot
- 2 Parsley root
- 1 Beetroot
- 1,5kg Potatoes
- 1 head Garlic
- 1 bundle Dill
- 1 bunch Parsley (leaves)
- 1 Red Bell pepper
- Black pepper
- 3 Bay leaves
- 10 berries Allspice
- 1 Tbsp Smoked paprika
- 500ml Tomato puree
- Vegetable oil
Wash and peel everything. Cut the onions, parsley root and bell pepper into even cubes. Cut the beetroot julienne and grate the carrots. Cut the cabbage julienne.
Dressing: Cut the garlic and the dill finely. Mix with salt and grind well, add 3 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Bring the vegetable broth in a large pot to a boil.
- Meanwhile sauté onions, parsley and grated carrots.
- When the broth boils, add beetroot and let cook for 7-10min.
- Add potatoes, barley leaves, allspice and salt. Let it cook for another 15min.
- Add the cabbage and cook for another 5-7min.
- Add the sautéed onions, parsley root and carrots.
- Add tomato puree, smoked paprika powder, season with black pepper and salt and boil for about 2min more.
- At the end add the “dressing” and freshly chopped parsley leaves, stir well and season to taste.
Serve with the vegan borscht with a fresh spring onion and bread.