Whole grain Vegan Mini Pizza
- Prep Time: 2-3h
- Cook Time: 15min
- Portions: ca 15 pieces
Prep: Mix the water, sugar and yeast. Use a metal spoon to stir until combined. Let sit for 5-7 minutes until the yeast has dissolved into the water and is foaming.
- Combine the flour, salt, oil and yeast mixture.
- Mix well and add water gradually if necessary.
- Knead by gently but firmly pushing the dough down and away from you with the heels of your hands until it is easily rolled into a ball and does not stick to your hands or to the surface.
- Put the dough into a bowl greased with a bit of olive oil and cover with a wet tea towel or plastic wrap and place into a warm place.
- Allow it to rise for about 1 – 1,5 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Knead the dough again until it is smooth and elastic.
- Let it rest about 10 minutes.
- Split the dough into cca15 pieces and roll them into small balls (panetti).
- Cover them with a wet tea towel
- Form the dough bits into small (ca.15cm in diameter) heart shapes or into small pizza base shapes. Keep the edges thicker than the center.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Cover the pizza base with tomato passata by starting in the middle and spreading to the edges.
- Add the toppings of your choice (sliced peppers, onions, cooked aubergine, zucchini …).
- Sprinkle with meltable vegan “mozzarella cheese”.
- Add the basil leaves and dukkah.
- Sprinkle with a bit of olive oil.
- Bake the pizza for 8 -10 minutes or until golden on the edges.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh basil and serve.
For vegetable toppings in general we recommend sautéing them before putting in the oven as they will not cook thoroughly in this short time. Also, the longer you let the dough raise, the better. Ideally over night. Since dough made of whole wheat flour is not as flexible as the usual white one, it works best for mini pizzas of about max 15/20cm diameter.