the best vegan meatloaf recipe we could find. Incredibly tasty and juicy with great texture. The perfect recipe for a meatless Christmas feast!
- 130 g dried lentils green or brown
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 75 g rolled oats
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 400 g can kidney beans rinsed & drained
- 100 g walnuts
- 100 g sunflower seeds
- 200 g carrots finely grated (7 oz)
- 200 g mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp red paprika powder optional
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils according to the package instructions.
- Chop the mushrooms, grate the carrots, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Then make a glaze by stirring together 2 tbsp preserved cranberries and 2 tbsp tomato ketchup.
- Sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Then add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Ground the oats and flax seeds into a fine meal.
- Add the kidney beans, cooked lentils, walnuts, sunflower seeds, sautéed onion mixture, and 3 tablespoons of water and process into a coarse mixture, leaving a little texture.
- Add finely grated carrots, chopped mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, parsley, tomato paste, mustard, soy sauce, paprika powder as well as salt and pepper to taste and mix everything to combine. (If the mixture looks too dry, add a little water or if it looks too moist, add more oat flour).
- Lightly grease a loaf pan (this will help the parchment paper sticking better to the pan) and then line it with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on both sides.
- Add the lentil mixture into the pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 30 minutes.
- Brush the lentil loaf with the glaze and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Finally, remove from the oven and let it cool for at least 15 minutes so that the mixture can set and will hold together better. Then carefully lift out the lentil meatloaf, using the parchment paper overhang and decorate with fresh rosemary as desired.
You can use also different mushrooms and any types of herbs that you like!